GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Long-term studies on the safety of human consumption of GM foods have not been conducted. We have been eating GM foods for only about 20 years, and it has only been in the last 10 years that the rate of consumption has increased due to advances in gene technology. There is no way to determine the long-term effect of eating these kinds of foods until it is studied in more depth.
To keep your family safe from GM foods, here are some tips:
1.Buy Organic. Any food labels that say organic on them cannot by virtue of being organic contain any GM foods. This is true for produce, as well as meats and dairy. Considering that soy is often a GM food crop, make sure to buy organic tofu, non-dairy alternatives, and other soy-based products, or stay away from soy altogether.
2. Look for GMO-Free Labels. Look on the food label to see if it says whether its GMO free or not. One organization helping with food labeling is the Non GMO Project. They verify individual products from food to health and beauty so that you know it is GMO free. Look for their label.
4. Use a Shoppers Guide. One great shopping guide is the Non GMO Shopping Guide. This will give you a list of verified products from condiments and other food items to health, beauty and hygiene products.
20 Questions on Genetically Modified Foods. n.d. World Health Organization Website.
Genetically Modified Foods. n.d. American Academy of Environmental Medicine.
Non-GMO Shoppers Guide. n.d. NonGMOProject.org
Cilantro. n.d. World’s Healthiest Foods Website.
Aga, M., Iwaki, K., Ueda, Y., et. al. 2001. Preventive Effect of Coriandrum sativum (Chinese Parsley) on Localized Lead Deposition in ICR Mice. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 77(2-3):203-8.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 red onion, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- A dash of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
There are many kinds of multivitamins on the market, and they come in different forms such as liquids, powders, tablets, chewables, capsules, and injectables (including IV). Some of these forms are easier for the body to absorb than others, depending on your overall state of health. Each multi will have differing ingredients and amounts. Also, the quality of the ingredients in the multivitamin will determine its over healing and protective properties.
Gaby, A. (2011). Nutritional medicine. Concord, N.H: Fritz Perlberg Publishing.
Pizzorno, Joseph E., and Michael T. Murray. 1999. Textbook of Natural Medicine. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.
Walker, Morton. 2000. Value of Colon Hydrotherapy Verified by Medical Professionals Prescribing it. Towsend Letter for Doctors and Patients (205/206).
A New Choice For Colonoscopy Preparation. Danbury Hospital Website.
Richards, D. McMillin, D., et. al. 2006. Colonic irrigations: a review of the historical controversy and the potential for adverse effects. Journal of Alternative Complementary Medicine 12(4):389-93.
Follow us on instagram
Our Doctors have been featured in: