Vitamin D, It Changes Everything
Vitamin D regulates the function of a variety of tissues. In fact there are specific Vitamin D receptors in almost all the tissues in our bodies. In addition to maintaining healthy calcium levels, Vitamin D also regulates hormone secretion, and keeps the immune system robust. From the prevention of certain cancers to the lowering of blood pressure in someone with hypertension, Vitamin D is essential for maintaining optimal health, and/or healing some diseases.
Low Vitamin D is associated with the following conditions:
- Osteoporosis and osteomalacia (fractures)
- Cancers; including breast, prostate and colon
- Heart disease
- Insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Facial hair and acne
- Lowered resistance to influenza and viruses
- Pain and muscle ache
Risk factors for Vitamin D deficiency:
- Dark skin- produces less Vitamin D than lighter skin living North of 35 degrees latitude
- Aging- less Vitamin D conversion with age
- Sunscreen- using SPF 8 reduces production of Vitamin D by 95%
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease- reduces Vitamin D absorption
- Obesity- Vitamin D is easily stored in the body, being absorbed directly into fat cells from the intestine
- Low Estrogen levels
Check your Vitamin D levels with a simple Blood Drop test. Review the results with your doctor and determine together a Vitamin D supplementation program that is best for you. We offer both oral and intramuscular injection forms of supplementation.
We can help. Schedule your appointment today (202) 298-9131.