Antioxidants: The Secret To Anti-Aging
Free radical damage is responsible for up to 80% of aging. Antioxidants such as vitamins, flavonoids, polyphenols, and phenolic acids play the main role in fighting against free radical species that are the main cause of numerous negative skin changes and boost anti-aging. Although individual plant compounds are effective in protecting the skin, whole botanical extracts have shown better antioxidant potential due to their complex composition.
Mild Acidity 101
The outer layer of skin is known as the acid mantle, and as its name suggests, is acidic in nature. The acidity of this layer is roughly the same as a bowl of crushed fresh tomatoes (pH 4.6 to 5) and the skin functions best in this mildly acidic state.
This mildly acidic state…
- Allows the skin to absorb nutrients in skincare
- Optimizes resident flora
- Alleviates skin sensitivity
- Constricts follicles and reduces pore size
- Tightens and firms the skin
- Keeps skin clear of debris
- Encourages new skin cell turnover
What happens if the skin is too acidic? Sensitivity, including the sun, and irritation due to lack of sebum. Dehydration, as skin becomes unable to retain water. Skin becomes rough and struggles to absorb nutrients.
What happens if skin is too alkaline? Sensitivities and compromised immunity from lack of keratin to keep skin thick. Dryness, itchiness and flaking due to hypersecretion of the sebaceous glands, caused by continued removal or protective sebum. Lack of elasticity and sensitivity from skin being “soaked” in sebum.
Factors That Affect Skin pH
- Medications like cholesterol-lowering drugs
- Weather. Too much heat, cold and humidity
- Water. Especially chlorinated, pH 7 is too alkaline for optimal skin function
- Diet. One high in acid-forming foods (meat, dairy, sugar, refined carbs)
- Cosmetics containing acids like Alpha Hydroxy acids (AHAs), Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHAs), retinoids and harsh foaming agents
- Emotional Imbalances. Anxiety, depresseion, fear and worries can interfere with the secretions of glands by suppressing or overstimulating them, altering the quality of the acid mantle. Skin looks dull, due to lack of circulating oxygen induced by stress.
- Environment. All pollutants. UV rays are alkaline in nature.
Looking for ways to boost anti-aging? Check out our IV cocktails on the Menu at the Indigo IV Lounge. Skin Perfect, Radiant Skin, and Anti-Aging IVs are great places to start regenerating and rejuvenating your beauty from the inside out.