How are your cells doing today? Don’t know? Then a Nutrient Assessment might be in order.
Why a nutrient assessment? Here’s the truth of it: If your body is missing – or even short on – key vitamins and minerals, your cells will not perform at optimal level. This can affect your daily energy, quality of sleep, mental and physical performance at work, school, or sports and can lead to complex health problems.
NUTRIENT DEFICIENCIES CAN OCCUR FOR REASONS OTHER THAN THE PRESENCE OF AN ACTIVE ILLNESS, INCLUDING:
- Inadequate intake in the diet
- Poor absorption in your digestive tract
- Problems at the cellular level, preventing proper use of the nutrient
- Loss of nutrients through intense exercise or long-term stress
- Insufficient co-factors or enzymes needed to properly utilize the nutrient
And that’s why a Nutrient Assessment is important. In holistic medicine, specialized tests are available to assess nutrient status. These tests are also known as Functional Nutrient Assessment, Nutrient Status Testing, or Micronutrient Testing. Using samples of blood, stool, urine, or hair, these tests evaluate how well your body absorbs and utilizes each nutrient assessed, along with the amount and functional availability of vitamins, mineral, and antioxidants in your cells. They help identify the nutritional supplements needed to achieve and maintain good health and lower your risk for serious illness. As we age, our nutrients in the body will get depleted. The best thing is to check in with your body every couple of years to make sure you are getting the right nutrients on a supplement protocol that addresses your specific nutrient needs. Everyone’s body will be different in what they deplete faster.
EVEN IF YOU FEEL YOUR BEST, A BASELINE NUTRIENT ANALYSIS IS GOOD FOR TWO IMPORTANT REASONS:
- A healthy baseline provides a point of comparison for times when you become ill and need to assess what’s going on with your body and what it needs to recover.
- Some nutrient deficiencies or insufficiencies don’t manifest in disease for a long time, even years. Having a baseline and periodic testing can help detect problems early.
Ask your holistic health practitioner about the type of nutrient testing that is most appropriate for you. Curious to know more, read more here about Micronutrient Testing.
Pizzorno, Joseph E. Textbook of Natural Medicine (4thEd).St. Louis, MO: Elsevier. Ch. 15-17, 19, 21